Brookings survey finds only 21 percent willing to ride in a self-driving car

Recent fatalities involving self-driving vehicles appear to be making people nervous about self-driving vehicles.

When asked in a survey undertaken by researchers at the Brookings Institution how likely they are to ride in a self-driving car, only 21 percent of adult internet users said they are inclined to do so, compared to 61 percent who are not.

The support for self-driving cars is down a bit from other surveys over the past year. For example, Northeastern University/Gallup undertook a mail survey of 3,297 U.S. adults from September 15 to October 10, 2017 and found 25 percent were likely to ride in a self-driving car and 54 percent were unlikely. In January 2018, Reuters/Ipsos completed a survey of 2,592 adults, finding 27 percent were comfortable riding in a self-driving car and two-thirds were uncomfortable.

In addition, our numbers are significantly less positive than what a May 2017 Pew Research Center poll revealed. It showed stronger enthusiasm for driverless cars, with 44 percent saying they would ride in one if given a chance, while 56 percent would not (but their analysis eliminated the “don’t know” or “no answer” response).

26. Juli 2018

Auto-mat ist eine Initiative von


Das Portal wird realisiert von


in kooperation mit

Swiss eMobility


Schweizer Mobilitätsarena
© 2018 -
Diese Webseite nutzt externe Komponenten, welche dazu genutzt werden können, Daten über Ihr Verhalten zu sammeln. Lesen Sie dazu mehr in unseren Datenschutzinformationen.
Notwendige Cookies werden immer geladen